WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoffagainorrhoea; That Edin Trip

Monday's post took a turn I didn't know was on the horizon. I let it be. Clearly needed to be recorded. However, the visit had been a shorter one this time and was for two specific things; an exhibition of artworks which had not been seen in public for very many years, if at all ("Hidden Gems"); then the 20th b'day concert of Drake Music.

I had Mac1 and a running pal of hers to stay with me on Wednesday night, then they drove on up to Oban and boated to Tiree to make a big run. It was because of this that Mac1 could not attend the concert. Long-term readers will recall that the family has strong ties to the charity due to our dear Amy
(The Maestro) gaining so much from and with them. Father doesn't go to these things now, so I put my hand up to be the Mac-Rep for the night. I always love what I hear.

At the time of scheduling this, the video clips from the concert have still not appeared, for the interested, here is the link to their tubular channel. You can watch and listen to all sorts of snippets there.

This was far and away the best yet of the concerts I have attended.

It was added to by having a guest musician who just about blew the roof off the Queen's Hall (The Edinburgh one, not the Dunoon version).  Kris Halpin has always been a musician. Then cerebral palsy did its best to stop him being one. The arrival of Imogen Heap's Mi.Mu gloves sorted that. The piece Kris played us was a full-on guitar hard rock item which, quite literally, made the building rock. The floor and pews (it's an ex-church) were vibrating and thrumming and there was not a face in that hall which was not agog.
I realised that what I was looking for was not control, but freedom..." (Imogen Heap - TED talk)
Unless Drake put up a clip of the piece, you'll just have to imagine the effect. What I can bring you today, though, is an item from a couple of years back, when Kris was still getting familiar with the gloves. Now, he is pretty much confined to a wheelchair and has less control over his movements - yet I'd say his music is stronger still.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my word...I too was blown away by the short link I loved the energy they showed and the lovely young lady dancing with her arms. Mu gloves amazing....thank you for sharing.
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible event. So inspirational. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gloves are amazing technology!
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  4. wowo that is like magic or a wonder wht things are possible...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it amazing when technology and creativity come together like this. It would be so hard to not be able to do what you love, and then to have something like these gloves come along and open up the musical world again - unbelievable and very uplifting to watch him on the video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very amazing. Makes one wonder what the future holds for all the different challenges humans face with their bodies and minds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This must have been bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏